- To provide disadvantaged children and young people access to high quality performing arts activities delivered by industry professionals, right in the heart of the local community.
- To give the participants the chance to have a break from their everyday lives, to build positive relationships and to HAVE FUN.
- To develop their skills, stimulate their imagination, and provide a forum for exploring their own creativity.
- To provide the opportunity for them share and explore feelings, experiences and ideas within a safe, secure and nurturing environment.
- To empower young people to define their own lives by expanding their horizons, alerting them to their own potentials and increasing the number of choices that are available to them.
At Brixton Youth Theatre you will have the opportunity to:
- take part in regular workshops
- learn from practising industry professionals
- develop your audition techniques
- devise and perform in exciting new shows
- get casting advice and updates
Our Artistic Directors
Brixton Youth Theatre is led by joint Artistic Directors Max Gold and David Baker.
Between them they have a wealth of experience as actors and directors in theatre, film and television. As well as performing with leading theatres such as the RSC and the National, they have created and run numerous projects for young people throughout London, including at the Lyric Hammersmith, where David Baker was Director of Creative Learning and an Artistic Associate.
They have been involved in feature film casting and worked on set with young actors in films such as Thor 2. Brixton Youth Theatre members they have coached have won places at colleges ranging from RADA to the Brit School.
Guest directors and practitioners
As well as our joint directors, Brixton Youth Theatre also benefits from a wide network of theatre, film and TV professionals who will lead guest workshops and projects and will provide a direct link into the industry.
You can join BYT at any time by downloading a registration form and email it to: email@example.com
“I am really impressed by the work of BYT, and how much they are dedicated to improving young people’s lives – the talent and life skills they develop by being part of BYT fills me with hope for the future“
Jane Horrocks – Patron